Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Vacuum Form Table part 2



As promised, here's the beast! Isn't it beautiful? I particularly love the simulated wood grain finish with the lime green plastic. It has all the elegance and beauty of a early 80s station wagon.

The thing on the side of the bucket is an adapter for the Shop Vac. I just cut a hole in the bucket, then caulked the adapter up tight. The top started life as an entertainment center. I think that it's more entertaining now than it ever was while holding up a television. It's just a piece of particle board with holes drilled into it. The bucket is also the vacuum chamber, and well...using a poo bucket to make my own plastic crap seemed appropriate.

I've wanted to make one of these things for forever, but I was always intimidated by the various schematics, etc. that you can find on the internet. Apparently, it's just as simple as you want to make it. Crazy huh?

I still need to build frames to hold the plastic, but after that, we'll form some stuff up and let you know how it works, and anything I learn from the process. Also as the second picture shows...don't drown babies in your vacuum forming table.

No comments:

Post a Comment