Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I'm an art hoarder

There. That’s a confession. Hoarding runs in my family, I hate to admit, so it’s not a big surprise that I have some of the compulsions to hoard stuff that they do. My problem tends to lie solely in my studio, though. I can’t keep it clean and organized, it’s always ultra-cluttered, and I have a hard time tossing anything potentially useful, even if I don’t have a use for it right now.
The thing is, I want a neat and tidy work area, but I can’t do it. The hoarding of potentially useful bits has come in handy so often it’s not even funny. I say this, because I’m going to try for the billionth time to clean my studio up. Wish me luck, maybe this time it’ll stick.
I’ve already starting this nightmarish cleaning process by doing something I don’t think I’ve ever done before. I’m pruning down my mass of sketch books. I’ve been going through them, and ripping out everything that seems like it might be useful, then tossing the rest of it into the garbage. It’s a painful process, and I’ve had to do it in small steps. Three sketch books is about my limit for one sitting, though if they are older sketchbooks, it’s a lot easier. I have next to no emotional attachment to the older stuff, and upon looking back at it, it’s mostly pretty awful.

It has been kind of intellectually interesting to see where my progress was back in high school and the like, but mostly it embarrassed me to see the mess. I know that an artist is supposed to keep such things to see progress and the like, but really, I think I carried it too far. Anyway, the garbage truck has come and gone this morning, so they are now on their way to a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment