Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Two Paintings part 1

Here's two of the paintings I've done in the last little bit, chosen based on the order in which I worked on their photos, not the order in which they were painted. I have several paintings to talk about/show, so I'm going to do two at a time for a bit.

The first one, cleverly titled "Red Dragon," is 28"X22" on gallery wrapped canvas. It's an acrylic, and took several days to finish. I don't really remember how long, exactly, but I can tell you that I do remember the pain I would be in after a painting session. I was painting for such long stretches of time that my arms, neck and back would be locked up from holding the same position for so long. If any of you know my work and actually pay attention to sizes, you'll notice that this one is WAY bigger than I normally least in the past. Lately that size has become about average for me, not the exception.

The scales were my least favorite part to do, but I think they were ultra important to getting the dragon to look 'dragony' enough. The wizard in goggles standing in front of the dragon was lifted from an old sketch in one of my sketch books. After getting the dragon roughed out onto the canvas, I roughed out the wizard on the rocks. I used the sketch for reference while I was painting, so I could keep up with the details.

The second painting is "Cyclops Sunset" and is 20"X24". This one was done in the course of one long afternoon, thanks to the pseudo silhouette style. Also an acrylic on canvas, this one was a LOT easier than the dragon. I had a lot of fun with the trees, and of course, playing with the sky behind the cyclops. As for inspiration as to why I painted it...I dunno. I wanted to do the glowing eye on the black background more than anything.

Comments and questions are absolutely welcome! Leave 'em here if ya want! Next post will be more paintings, then Friday, I will reveal the sideshow goat!

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Donkey Mask and Etc.

As mentioned yesterday, I'm working on a donkey mask, and here it is, in progress. Bruce, my mannequin, is kindly modeling them in these shots. Bruce was also the form on which I molded the mask, too.
The face was sculpted out of Crayola Model Magic which is a nice light weight, air drying, modeling compound. The ears and the sides, back, and top of the head are made of plastic canvas. Currently, the mask is covered in duct tape, so that when I start adding fur, it's got something to stick to.

As this is a long process, there will be more updates about how the mask goes! The mask won't be the end of this, though. I plan on making an entire donkey costume!!!! I've bought a jumpsuit pattern that will serve as the basis for the body, and I've bought a pair of sneakers that are going to be the inner structures for my hooves. It's an ultra-ambitious project, but I think it'll look cool when I'm done! I've started cutting out the eyes, so expect an update when I get them cut and fitted in.

I've been asked a few times already as to how I'm planning on doing this, why, and 'how I learn this stuff'. All of those questions (except for why...I don't know why, myself, really), can be answered in "Critter Costuming," the best resource for these types of costumes

Astute readers will notice that I've not mentioned dolls or creepy sideshow stuff at all lately. Worry not! I'm working on a creepy sideshow goat, and thanks to Daryle of Woodstown Whimsies, I'm inspired to work more on dolls! Daryle did an awesome steampunk doll that has sparked a desire in me to go back in that direction.

Next post should be about my paintings, but I have a TON of photos that I need to work with between now and then, if you are going to get to see them.

Monday, June 28, 2010

Long delays, lots of progress

Right from the gate, I'm just going to say 'Sorry'. I goofed off, got distracted by a billion different projects, and dropped the ball on the blog (and every other web outlet I use). I was working on arts though!

Firstly, because I've talked about it so much, here's the steampunk gas mask, as promised. I don't think it's quite done yet, but it's getting there. It's lots of fake leather, two Darth Vader plastic helmets (just the helmet, not the mask), some glass, some brass, and a brass plated sink drain thingie.

I've been painting a lot lately, and will be photographing the paintings soon. They will probably be broken into a few posts, because there's soooo many of them! I've also started work on a donkey mask!!!! You'll get to see it, too!