Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Donkey Mask and Etc.


As mentioned yesterday, I'm working on a donkey mask, and here it is, in progress. Bruce, my mannequin, is kindly modeling them in these shots. Bruce was also the form on which I molded the mask, too.
The face was sculpted out of Crayola Model Magic which is a nice light weight, air drying, modeling compound. The ears and the sides, back, and top of the head are made of plastic canvas. Currently, the mask is covered in duct tape, so that when I start adding fur, it's got something to stick to.

As this is a long process, there will be more updates about how the mask goes! The mask won't be the end of this, though. I plan on making an entire donkey costume!!!! I've bought a jumpsuit pattern that will serve as the basis for the body, and I've bought a pair of sneakers that are going to be the inner structures for my hooves. It's an ultra-ambitious project, but I think it'll look cool when I'm done! I've started cutting out the eyes, so expect an update when I get them cut and fitted in.

I've been asked a few times already as to how I'm planning on doing this, why, and 'how I learn this stuff'. All of those questions (except for why...I don't know why, myself, really), can be answered in "Critter Costuming," the best resource for these types of costumes

Astute readers will notice that I've not mentioned dolls or creepy sideshow stuff at all lately. Worry not! I'm working on a creepy sideshow goat, and thanks to Daryle of Woodstown Whimsies, I'm inspired to work more on dolls! Daryle did an awesome steampunk doll that has sparked a desire in me to go back in that direction.

Next post should be about my paintings, but I have a TON of photos that I need to work with between now and then, if you are going to get to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment