Sunday, January 2, 2011

My Mom's in the Hospital

This is news to you, unless you know me personally, but it’s not a new development. Mom’s been in the hospital since the day before Thanksgiving. It’s been stressful as hell, to say the least.
First, it was assumed that she had a stroke, but she seemed cognitively fine. Then we went on to other more exotic disorders, and eventually settled on myasthenia gravis. I didn’t know what it was either, so don’t feel bad. Boiled down, it’s an immune system thing that disrupts the neurological signals to the muscles.
Of course, if that were the only problem, she’d have been home long ago. She’s turning 70 on the 10th, and she’s had a rash of problems with her health since going to the hospital (a great number of them seem to be the fault of the hospital, but that’s something I’ll likely not discuss here).
The point of this is not a cry for sympathy, but because I’m trying to figure out something nice to do for her. She’s missed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and will likely miss her birthday too. Seems like she should get something for all that. If you all have any brilliant ideas for gifts, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment