Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Steampunk and why I care

So, like most con goers, I've succumbed to the steampunk bug. It has a special place in my heart as it's related to the time-period when we could see babies in jars at a side show, and wear cool bowler hats, and have awesome mustaches. It also uses a lot of brass, and I'm just tacky enough to love brass.

I've got a problem though...I REALLY want to make steampunk stuff, but I feel kind of lost with it. I can barely sew, and I'm not that great at just taking random parts and making them into something cool. I'm especially not good at taking random MACHINE parts and making them look good. I'm trying though.

In the works, currently, are a steampunk gas mask, a steampunk pistol and I'm getting brave, so I cut out the pattern for a corset today (not for me, don't worry)...which I will make steampunk.
The mask is fairly flying together, which is funny, because I started the pistol to cut my teeth on the genre before attempting the gas mask....the pistol is going somewhat slower, though.

Sadly, I've had to say goodbye to my Darth Vader helmet, as it's the basis for the gas mask. I don't think Lord Vader will mind me using his helmet for such a noble cause, though. I also ruined a candle holder/lamp thingie that I've had for a while to get at the round pieces of glass on it for the lenses on the gas mask, and I murdered a fake leather portfolio to make the mouth piece. I think it's coming along, though. I'll keep you updated!

2 comments:

  1. If Austrich reads this, I'm sorry that I misspelled "Ausome". That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ausomesauce. Can't wait to see.

    ReplyDelete